Clear aligners have revolutionized orthodontics. Invisalign was the first clear aligner manufacturer and remains the most recognized brand associated with clear aligners today. The United States Food and Drug Administration approved Invisalign’s revolutionary orthodontic treatment in 1998. To date, over 7 million people (including more than 1.4 million teens) have used Invisalign clear aligners.
One question we hear at Docklands Dental Studio is, “Are invisible braces available for me in Australia?” The answer is a resounding yes! In 2007, Align Technology, the inventor of Invisalign, gave Invisalign Australia sole distribution rights for the Invisalign system. This agreement effectively gives Australia the same product, customer support, and clinical education that dentists in the United States enjoy.
So what makes Invisalign so effective?
As the leader in clear aligner technology, Invisalign has patented several technologies that deliver superior cosmetic results.
Invisalign trays are made with a special plastic called SmartTrack. After exploring 260 potential source materials, Align Technology settled on its proprietary final formula due to SmartTrack’s ability to precisely fit a patient’s dental morphology, interproximal spaces, and attachments. SmartTrack was officially released in 2013 and builds on Align Technology’s decades of expertise in material science and biomechanics.
For patients, the material delivers a more comfortable fit that’s tight yet easy to remove. SmartTrack is proven to deliver:
- Gentler movements
- Exceptional comfort
- Faster results
- More predictable cosmetic results
- Superior control
SmartForce refers to tooth-colored attachments that carefully guide teeth during treatment. You can think of them like handles that give aligners something to gently push on. Your Invisalign clear aligners fit snuggly over these attachments, meaning they are barely noticeable. When combined with SmartTrack material, the results are clinically proven to be 75 percent more predictable.
Invisalign’s new SmartStage allows your dentist to make predictable tooth movements using attachments and the aligner’s features. Invisalign has compiled data from millions of its customers, and they use that information to accurately map out your treatments. By allowing the aligner to engage with the tooth using SmartStage technology, the clear aligners can create the right force system to meet your cosmetic needs.
Benefits of Clear Aligners
Invisalign treatments offer many advantages over traditional braces.
- Discreet treatment: Undergoing orthodontic treatments used to mean having to wear distracting metal wires and brackets. Clear aligners are the discreet alternative to braces. The invisible treatment lets you enjoy a beautiful smile even as you complete your treatment.
- Greater comfort: Invisalign trays are surprisingly comfortable. There are no metal brackets to irritate your gums and no spacer treatments before candidacy. The trays fit snugly over your teeth and gently move teeth into proper alignment through micromovements. By spacing out movements over a predictable timeline, patients can forgo uncomfortable wire-tightening sessions.
- Easier oral hygiene: Traditional metal braces require special tools to floss and lengthy periods of time brushing between meals. Invisalign aligners can be removed, meaning our patients simply brush as normal.
- No dietary restriction: Sticky foods can cling to braces while crunchy foods can damage wires and brackets. There are no dietary restrictions associated with Invisalign aligners, although we recommend avoiding candy and other sugary food items for general oral health reasons.
- Predictable results: Your doctor can give you a chart that shows how your teeth will move according to a predictable timeline. Invisalign treatments rely on progressive movements that are predictable.
Finally, Invisalign delivers superior results, often in less time than traditional braces can offer.
What About Mail-Order Clear Aligners?
Companies that offer mail-order clear aligners promise the same cosmetic results as Invisalign for a lower cost. The cost-savings primarily come by cutting out doctors. We strongly urge our patients to avoid these unproven products. Only with proper supervision by a qualified doctor can patients enjoy the proven benefits of Invisalign aligners. If you have not had a chance, please read last month’s blog post, The Truth about Mail-Order Clear Aligners.
What Should I Expect From My Invisalign Treatment?
Your Invisalign treatment will begin with a consultation with one of our dentists. Your cosmetic goals will be discussed and images of your teeth will be taken. These digital impressions will be sent to a trusted laboratory that works with Align Technology. After a few weeks, your sets of aligner trays will arrive at our office and a time will be set for your next appointment.
During your next appointment, you will be given multiple sets of trays that are to be worn 22 hours per day. Your dentist will provide details about how to maintain and care for your aligner trays. The trays are to be replaced every few weeks. Your dentist will give you specifics. Regular checkups will be scheduled so one of our dentists can monitor your progress. Each new tray is slighter straighter than the last one. Many patients notice cosmetic improvements after just a few weeks of using Invisalign treatments.
At certain points during your treatment timeline, small attachments may be placed on your teeth. Interproximal reduction (IPR) is another common treatment that mail-order braces cannot duplicate. IPR creates spaces between teeth to allow for complex tooth movements. Once your treatments are complete, you will be given a permanent retainer that is to be worn at night.
Schedule Your Invisalign Treatment Today!
A straight and attractive smile can do wonders for your self-confidence, your self-perception, and even your personal or romantic relationships. If your smile isn’t as straight or symmetrical as you would like, Invisalign may be the perfect solution. This orthodontic system will discreetly and quickly correct dental alignment to straighten teeth and close gaps between teeth. At Docklands Dental Studio, we now offer Invisalign for our teenage and adult patients. Invisalign comes with a variety of benefits, including comfort and convenience.
If you’re ready for straight teeth, an unforgettable smile, and practically invisible orthodontic therapy, schedule your Invisalign consultation at Dockland’s Dental Studio today!