A custom-fitted mouthguard not only protects your teeth but can also prevent or reduce the impact of injuries to other parts of your head and jaw.
A custom fitted mouthguard is essential to protecting the teeth and jaw upon impact during sports. They work in 4 ways:
- Cushion the force of the blow
- Protect against jaw and joint injuries
- Protect against soft tissue injuries
- May help reduce concussion
Why wear a mouthguard?
Sporting accidents, such as damaged or knocked out teeth, broken jaws and cut lips, are one of the most common causes of dental injury, can be avoided or minimised when wearing custom-fitted mouthguard. The cost of injury to your teeth or jaw far exceeds the cost of a custom-fitted mouthguard.
When should my child wear a mouthguard?
Custom-fitted mouthguards should be worn whilst playing and training for any sport where there is a possibility of contact to the face.
These sports can include hockey, netball, martial arts, baseball, basketball and even skateboarding and skiing.
What are the benefits of a custom-fit mouthguard?
- allows you to speak clearly
- won’t shift or fall out
- won’t restrict your breathing
How do I look after my mouth guard?
Keep your mouthguard clean and store it in a rigid container, away from heat to ensure it maintains its shape.
- Rinse in cold water after use
- Keep out of direct sunlight – mouthguards will change shape in high temperatures
- occasionally rinse your mouthguard in a mouthwash
- Have your mouthguard assessed by your dentist at your regular dental check-up
- Replace your mouthguard if it gets damaged
Here at Docklands Dental Studio, we have a broad range of colours to choose from, so you can match your team’s colours!
Feel free to contact us for initial consultation at www.docklandsdentalstudio.com.au or call us at (03) 9021 9487.
Be safe and good luck in the next match!